Five young girls in Hanford, California experienced servere burns and blistering after picking a common household fruit from a neighbor's tree. 

After playing with limes and squeezing them at their play lemonade stand, the girls developed strange symptoms, eventually developing into severe chemical burns covering 15 percent of their bodies. 

As it turns out, an uncommon chemical reaction called phytophotodermatitis was caused by the girls' contact with the limes and sun

Watch the video above to hear their story.

More From Kitchen Daily:

Guy Fieri Makes Nachos in a Trashcan (and They’re Amazing!) Guy Fieri Makes Nachos in a Trashcan (and They’re Amazing!)
Guy Fieri Makes Nachos in a Trashcan (and They’re Amazing!)
10 Unusual Ways to Use Cornstarch 10 Unusual Ways to Use Cornstarch
10 Unusual Ways to Use Cornstarch
12 Life-Changing Sandwiches You've Never Heard Of 12 Life-Changing Sandwiches You've Never Heard Of
12 Life-Changing Sandwiches You've Never Heard Of

Tags: Food Report

10 common foods that can be poisonous

Part of HuffPost Food Group

Terms of Service | Privacy Policy Corporate Site | Advertise With Us