Get into the spirit of March Madness by hosting a viewing party at home. Whether cheering on your favorite team or entertaining the sports lovers in your life, the championship tournament gives you the perfect excuse to celebrate with family and friends.
To help you kick off the first week of games, the editors at Kitchen Daily tapped in to their inner Martha Stewart to bring you this craft tutorial for March Madness-themed cupcake toppers along with free printable templates. This DIY project is easy to do and can be personalized with team colors. Feel free to use these toppers for appetizers and drinks as well.
Download the PDF for the free printable template here.
- white heavy cardstock paper
- wooden skewers (lollipop sticks or toothpicks could also work)
- Print out the free cupcake topper template on white heavy cardstock paper. For the pennants, you can choose to use the multicolored set or print out and personalize the black and white set with your favorite team’s colors.
- Cut out each piece with scissors. We suggest using scalloped edge scissors to cut along the outline of the black and white striped circle for a prettier look.
- Assemble the pennant topper:
Gently fold along the vertical line in the center of each flag. Glue one end of a wooden skew along the crease, and then glue the tips of the flag together.
- Assemble the basketball in the hoop topper:
Glue one end of a wooden skewer on top of a hoop pointing toward the center, and then glue a basketball on top of the skewer to hide the end. We like to switch up the position of the basketball – they can’t all be nothin’ but net!
- Assemble the basketball on striped circle topper:
Glue one end of a wooden skewer on top of a striped circle pointing toward the center, and then glue a basketball on top of the skewer to hide the end.
For more fun cupcake decorating ideas, try these easy tips:
- Use colored wooden skewers – store-bought or dyed at home with food coloring - to emphasize your favorite team's colors.
- Switch out cupcake liners with fun prints and team-specific colors.
- Score points with sprinkles and edible glitter.
Check out the slideshow above to see more photos of these festive cupcake toppers in action, plus our favorite cupcake recipes.