Cold winter nights call for rich sauces to accompany your favorite dishes. Thyme red wine sauce is a classic pairing for beef. Watch Chef Stuart O'Keeffe in the KD101 test kitchen share tips for deglazing and how to manage those tricky corks.
Thyme Red Wine Sauce Recipe
Cooktime: 40 minutes
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 onion, roughly chopped
1 medium carrot, chopped
2 celery ribs, chopped
3 fresh thyme sprigs
½ bottle red wine
4 cups beef broth
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a heavy based sauce pan, heat oil and sauté onion, carrot, and celery together for 5 minutes. 2. Add wine and deglaze the pan. Scrape the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon.
3. Add broth broth and let simmer for 15 minutes
4. In the meantime, make a quick roux by combine the flour with the softened butter
5. Add roux to the saucepan and whisk until incorporated with no flour bits
6. Simmer until sauce thickens and strain.