½ cup diced dried apple
1 cup 3 tablespoon packed light brown sugar, plus 3/4 cup, divided
1 tsp ground cinnamon, divided
⅓ cup canola oil
2 large egg
1 tsp ground cinnamon, plus more for garnish
¾ cup whole-wheat pastry flour
¾ cup cake flour
¾ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp pinch of salt
½ cup non-fat buttermilk
1. To prepare cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 12 (1/2-cup) muffin cups with cupcake liners or coat with cooking spray.
2. Combine shredded and dried apples in a bowl with 3 tablespoons brown sugar and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon. Set aside. Beat oil and the remaining 3/4 cup brown sugar in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until well combined. Beat in eggs one at a time until combined. Add vanilla, increase speed to high and beat for 1 minute.
3. Whisk whole-wheat flour, cake flour, baking soda, salt and the remaining 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon in a medium bowl.
4. With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the dry ingredients and buttermilk to the batter, starting and ending with dry ingredients and scraping the sides of the bowl as needed, until just combined. Stir in the reserved apple mixture until just combined. Divide the batter among the prepared muffin cups. (The cups will be full.)
5. Bake the cupcakes until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cake comes out clean, 20 to 22 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for at least 1 hour before frosting.
¼ cup water
4 tsp dried egg whites (see Note), reconstituted according to package directions (equivalent to 2 egg whites)
¼ tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp salt
½ tsp vanilla extract
ground cinnamon, plus more for garnish
6. To prepare frosting: Bring 2 inches of water to a simmer in the bottom of a double boiler (see Tip). Combine 1 cup brown sugar and 1/4 cup water in the top of the double boiler. Heat over the simmering water, stirring, until the sugar has dissolved, 2 to 3 minutes. Add reconstituted egg whites, cream of tartar and pinch of salt. Beat with an electric mixer on high speed until the mixture is glossy and thick, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove the top pan from the heat and continue beating for 1 minute more to cool. Add vanilla and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and beat on low just to combine. Spread or pipe the frosting onto the cooled cupcakes and sprinkle cinnamon on top, if desired.
Ingredient Note: Dried egg whites are pasteurized so this product is a wise choice in dishes that call for an uncooked meringue. Look for brands like Just Whites in the baking or natural-foods section of most supermarkets or online at bakerscatalogue.com.
To Make Ahead: Store unfrosted cupcakes airtight at room temperature for up to 1 day. | Equipment: 12 (1/2-cup) muffin cups
Provided by: EatingWell
Per Single Serving / Serves 12 Total
- Calories 276
- Calories from fat 63
- Total Fat 7gm 11%
- Sodium 193mg 8%
- Total Carbohydrates 50gm 17%
- Fiber 2gm 8%
- Protein 4gm
- Cholesterol 35mg 12%
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.