- At least several hours ahead of time, prepare the Citrus-Ginger Vinaigrette. In a small nonreactive saucepan, combine the orange and lemon juices, ginger, and mustard powder. Bring to a boil over medium heat, and then continue boiling until the juice has reduced to ¼ cup, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Pour the cooled juice reduction into a bowl.
- Whisk the reduction briskly while drizzling in the olive oil.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the dressing to a covered container and refrigerate until ready to use.
3 large tangerines or mandarins
2 Asian pears, cored, peeled, and cut into thick matchsticks, about 3 inches by ¼ inch
¼ cup slivered almonds, toasted
½ cup dried cranberries
Freshly ground black pepper
- About 2 hours in advance, prepare the Arugula Salad. Fill a large bowl or basin with ice cubes and water.
- Rinse the arugula leaves under cold running water, and then immerse them in the ice water to make them extra crispy. Leave them to soak for 1 hour.
- Drain them and pat thoroughly dry with a clean kitchen towel or paper towels.
- Transfer to a plastic bag or covered container and refrigerate until just before serving time.
- Peel the tangerines or mandarins. With the tip of a small, sharp knife, carefully slit the membrane on each of the segments; then, with your fingertips, assisted by the knife if necessary, peel off and discard the membranes.
- Put the segments in a bowl, cover, and refrigerate.
- A few minutes before serving, put the arugula leaves in a large salad bowl.
- Add half each of the tangerine segments, pear, toasted almonds, and cranberries.
- Add the dressing, season to taste with salt and pepper, and toss the salad thoroughly until the leaves are evenly coated.
- Leave the mixture in the salad bowl or transfer to an attractive serving bowl or individual bowls or plates.
- Garnish with the remaining tangerines, pears, almonds, and cranberries and serve.