- First, smear some ricotta all over 2 delicious pieces of bread. I used Salvatore Brooklyn's original because like I said last week - I'm obsessed.
- Now, it's time for the bacon jam. You can totally buy this stuff OR you could just make it yourself. It's really not that hard and if you do make it, all your friends will be obsessed with you and they might even try to break into your kitchen and gobble it down while you're sleeping.
Ok, so here's how you do it in a Bittman style way. Render chopped bacon until it's all crispy and good. Then remove bacon and do what you will with all the fat but save 1 tbs of it. Then add the 1 tbs of bacon fat in with some butter and a few chopped onions. Once the onions start to get translucent, add the bacon back in then add a bunch of vinegar, sugar, and some spices such as chili powder and cayenne. Let it cook on medium low for like an hour stirring occasionally and season to taste. If you can't follow that, then you should check out a real recipe here.
Oh, and once it's ready, just plop some on and get pumped.
- Now add your Brussels sprouts. I basically just chopped off the bottom of some sprouts, split them in half, and put them interior side down in a cast iron skillet with some bacon grease. I then cooked 'em on medium high until they were crisped on the outside and tender to the touch. Oh, and def make sure to season with salt and pepper!
- Then finish it with a sprinkle of REAL Parmesan Reggiano.
- Now place the other piece of bread on top and butter it up.
- Place your sandwiches into the pan and turn your heat to medium-high.
- Let it cook for a few minutes on each side until it's all golden and crispy and heated through. Allow it to sit for a few minutes before wolfing down.
For the full post, visit Grilled Cheese Social.