1. Whisk milk, egg whites, honey, vanilla and salt in a large bowl.
2. Trim crusts off 8 bread slices and set aside. Cut the crusts and the remaining bread into 1-inch pieces. Toss with dried apples, raisins, cinnamon and nutmeg in another large bowl.
3. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Transfer the bread mixture to the pan. Lay the reserved crustless slices evenly on top, trimming to fit. Whisk the milk mixture one more time, then pour evenly over the bread. Press the bread down with the back of a wooden spoon, making sure it's evenly moist. Cover with parchment paper, then foil, and refrigerate for at least 8 hours or up to 24 hours.
4. Preheat oven to 350°F.
5. Bake the casserole, covered, for 40 minutes. Uncover and continue baking until puffed, set and lightly browned, about 20 minutes more. Let stand for 10 minutes; dust with confectioners' sugar and serve.
Provided by: EatingWell
Per Single Serving / Serves 9 Total
- Calories 183 2%
- Calories from fat 9
- Total Fat 1gm 14%
- Monounsaturated Fat 1gm 11%
- Sodium 344mg
- Total Carbohydrates 33gm
- Fiber 4gm
- Protein 10gm
- Cholesterol 1mg 16%
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.