1. Place rack in lower third of oven; preheat to 350°F.
2. Melt butter over medium-high heat in a large ovenproof Dutch oven; add rice and cook, stirring, until lightly toasted, about 1 1/2 minutes. (If using curry powder, add it now and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 15 seconds.) Add water. Stir in lentils, garlic cloves, cinnamon stick, ginger, curry paste, if using, and salt; bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the curry paste.
3. Cover the pot tightly with a lid or foil. Transfer to the oven and bake until the rice and lentils are tender and all the water is absorbed, 50 to 55 minutes. Fluff with a fork, removing the cinnamon stick and ginger slices. Serve garnished with scallions.
Note: Red curry paste is a blend of chili peppers, garlic, lemongrass and galanga (a root with a flavor similar to ginger). Look for it in jars or cans in the Asian section of the supermarket or specialty stores.
Provided by: EatingWell
Per Single Serving / Serves 4 Total
- Calories 348 21%
- Calories from fat 45 10%
- Total Fat 5gm 3%
- Saturated Fat 2gm 13%
- Monounsaturated Fat 1gm 14%
- Sodium 327mg
- Total Carbohydrates 62gm 8%
- Fiber 13gm
- Protein 16gm
- Cholesterol 8mg
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.