Next time you have a craving for baked ziti but are only cooking for two, make this perfectly portioned Baked Pasta with Sausage and Fontina. This dish takes half the time and leaves with you with leftovers for the rest of the week!
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Cook the penne 9 minutes or until it is al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, drizzle ½ tablespoon of oil and saute the onions until translucent and soft. About 3-4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Remove the sausage from the casing and break into small pieces in the skillet with the back of a wooden spoon. Cook until no longer pink through, continuing to break into small pieces as it cooks.
- Once the sausage is completely cooked through, stir in the tomato sauce, salt and red pepper flakes (only if using sweet sausage).
- Bring the sauce to a simmer, taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Remove from the heat and stir in the oregano.
- Stir in the cooked penne and toss to combine evenly.
- In two oven safe serving bowls, divide the pasta and sausage mixture. Top with fontina and place in a 400 degree heated oven.
- Bake for 5 minutes or until the fontina is completely melted.
- Remove, let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
For the full post, visit The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen.