1 cup water
1 large Savoy cabbage (about 3 pounds)
1 Tbsp canola oil
1 medium onion, chopped
4 clove garlic, minced
6 Tbsp lemon juice, divided
1 lb 93%-lean ground turkey
3 Tbsp chopped fresh dill
1 tsp caraway seed
½ tsp salt
½ tsp freshly ground pepper
1 ½ cup no-salt-added tomato sauce
1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 Tbsp honey
1. Combine rice and water in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer slowly until the water is absorbed, 25 to 30 minutes. Set aside to cool.
2. Meanwhile, bring a Dutch oven full of water to a boil over high heat. Remove the 12 largest outer leaves from the cabbage, place them in the boiling water, and boil for 6 minutes. Drain in a large colander set in the sink and rinse under cool water until room temperature. Chop enough of the remaining cabbage leaves to equal 2 cups. (Save the rest for another use.)
3. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and the chopped cabbage. Cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add 4 tablespoons lemon juice and cook, stirring, until the liquid has almost evaporated. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
4. Mix turkey, dill, caraway, salt, pepper, the onion mixture and cooled rice in a large bowl.
5. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Lay one cabbage leaf on your work surface; cut out the thick stem. Place about 1/3 cup of the turkey mixture in the leaf's center. Fold the sides over the filling, then roll closed. Place seam-side down in the baking dish. Repeat with the remaining cabbage leaves and filling.
6. Whisk tomato sauce, broth, honey and the remaining 2 tablespoons lemon juice in a medium bowl. Pour evenly over the rolls. Cover tightly with foil. Follow make-ahead instructions or bake (Step 7).
7. Preheat oven to 375°F. Bake the cabbage rolls for 1 hour. Uncover and continue baking, basting the rolls with sauce several times, for 20 minutes more.
Provided by: EatingWell
Per Single Serving / Serves 6 Total
- Calories 265 10%
- Calories from fat 72 10%
- Total Fat 8gm 15%
- Saturated Fat 2gm 6%
- Monounsaturated Fat 2gm 13%
- Sodium 309mg
- Total Carbohydrates 31gm 12%
- Fiber 6gm
- Protein 20gm
- Cholesterol 44mg
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.