2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
2 ½ cup low-fat milk, heated
½ cup shredded fontina cheese, divided
½ tsp ground nutmeg
¼ tsp salt
1 lb fresh or frozen cheese tortellini, preferably whole-wheat
¼ cup fine bread crumb
2 Tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 6 individual gratin dishes or a 1 1/2-quart shallow baking dish with cooking spray. Put a large pot of water on to boil for cooking pasta.
2. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and cook, whisking constantly, for 1 to 2 minutes. Add hot milk and bring to a simmer, whisking, until smooth and slightly thickened, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat and add 1/4 cup fontina and nutmeg, stirring to melt the cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Meanwhile, cook tortellini until just tender, 6 to 8 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and rinse well.
4. Combine the tortellini with the cheese sauce and toss. Transfer to the prepared dishes or baking dish. Top with the remaining 1/4 cup fontina. Combine breadcrumbs and Parmesan and sprinkle evenly over the tortellini.
5. Bake the tortellini until golden and bubbly, 15 to 25 minutes. Serve immediately.
To Make Ahead: Prepare through Step 4; cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 6 months. Thaw in the refrigerator before baking. Equipment: 6 individual gratin dishes or a 1 1/2-quart shallow baking dish
Provided by: EatingWell
Per Single Serving / Serves 6 Total
- Calories 366 18%
- Calories from fat 108 16%
- Total Fat 12gm 31%
- Sodium 738mg 8%
- Total Carbohydrates 46gm
- Fiber 2gm
- Protein 17gm
- Cholesterol 49mg 15%
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.