- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk buttermilk, brown sugar, oil and eggs in a large bowl. Stir in mashed bananas.
- Whisk whole-wheat pastry flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and nutmeg in a medium bowl.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Fold in blueberries. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan.
- Bake until the top is golden brown and a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack. Let cool for about 2 hours before slicing.
Muffin Variation: Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 12 (1/2 cup) muffin cups with cooking spray or line with paper liners. Divide the batter among the muffin cups (they will be full). Bake until the tops are golden brown and a wooden skewer inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove and let cool on a wire rack for at least 5 minutes more before serving.
Ingredient note: Whole-wheat pastry flour, lower in protein than regular whole-wheat flour, has less gluten-forming potential, making it a better choice for tender baked goods. You can find it in the natural-foods section of large supermarkets and natural-foods stores. Store in the freezer.
To Make Ahead: Wrap and store at room temperature for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Provided by: EatingWell
Per Single Serving / Serves 10 Total
- Calories 278 11%
- Calories from fat 63 14%
- Total Fat 7gm 12%
- Sodium 298mg 12%
- Total Carbohydrates 49gm
- Fiber 3gm
- Protein 5gm
- Cholesterol 43mg 16%
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.