1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. Whisk cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and chipotle (or cayenne) in a medium bowl. Mix banana, egg and milk (or buttermilk) in another medium bowl. Add the cornmeal mixture to the banana mixture and stir until just incorporated.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium; using 2 tablespoons of batter for each, space 5 fritters evenly in the pan. Cook until golden brown, 30 seconds to 2 minutes per side. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Cook a second batch with the remaining oil and batter, adjusting heat to prevent burning.
4. Transfer the fritters to the oven and bake until puffed and firm to the touch, 8 to 10 minutes.
Ingredient Note: Chipotle peppers are dried, smoked jalapeno peppers, often used to add heat and a smoky flavor to foods. Ground chipotle can be found in the specialty-spice section of most supermarkets.
Provided by: EatingWell
Per Single Serving / Serves 5 Total
- Calories 243 12%
- Calories from fat 72 5%
- Total Fat 8gm 14%
- Saturated Fat 1gm 14%
- Monounsaturated Fat 4gm 14%
- Sodium 326mg
- Total Carbohydrates 41gm
- Fiber 4gm
- Protein 5gm
- Cholesterol 43mg 4%
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.