I loved the way the barley in has just a little bit more bite to it than rice risotto. The salty marinated feta is a delightful complement for the sweet tomatoes.
- Rinse the barley in cold water and allow to drain.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat and add 2 Tbsp. of the olive oil. Cook the celery, shallots and garlic for just about five minutes.
- Next, add the barley, thyme, paprika, bay leaf, lemon peel, chile flakes, tomatoes, stock, drained crushed tomatoes and salt. Stir and bring the mixture to a simmer. Cook for about 40 minutes, or until the majority of the liquid is absorbed. Stir frequently as it cooks.
10 ½ oz feta crumbles
4 Tbsp olive oil
- Meanwhile, toast the caraway seeds gently in either a dry skillet or a toaster oven. Crush so that some pods break open. Then add them to the feta with the 4 Tbsp. olive oil and crush to make a thick paste. You may need to add more olive oil to reach this point.
- When the risotto is ready, taste for salt level and serve in bowls, topped with the marinated feta.
Note: For the marinated feta I made 1/4 of this part and it was plenty for us.
- Garnish with fresh oregano.
Read more from PDXfoodlove.