Easy and tasty are the names of the game here, and these tacos are both and incredibly versatile. You can dress them up fancy or just take them as is and dig in. Oh, and did I mention they’re mad economical? If you have some of these ingredients on hand, this whole meal will cost you around $12 bucks.
- Make the slaw first to allow time for it to chill in the fridge. Combine all slaw ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Place covered in refrigerator to chill before serving.
1 tsp olive oil, for sautéing
1 Tbsp smoked paprika
1 tsp ground ginger
Freshly ground sea salt and pepper to taste
2 Tbsp olive oil, for sautéing
½ cup vegan BBQ Sauce
⅛ cup water, if needed
1 Tbsp package of corn tortillas (I used TJ’s brand)
12 corn tortillas
- Remove tofu from packages and drain the liquid. You can make this recipe simply by patting the tofu bricks dry with a paper towel, if you like, but for the more ambitious among us, feel free to use a tofu press to extract all of the water to get a really dry, firm product.
- Dice tofu in to 1/4 inch pieces and place in a nonstick skillet. Do not turn on the heat yet.
- Add cumin, smoked paprika, ground ginger, and salt and pepper to tofu and coat all pieces evenly with the dry mixture.
- Add a spray of olive oil and saute tofu on medium until the spices caramelize slightly and the tofu is cooked through (about 8 minutes).
- Once cooked, reduce heat to low-medium and add BBQ sauce and water (if you desire a more saucy consistency). Coat tofu completely and allow to cook and caramelize on tofu (about 5 minutes). Remove from burner and allow to cool for a minute.
- Cover tortillas in a paper towel and microwave for about 1 minute or until supple. Alternatively, you can warm tortillas directly on a stove burner at low heat (this is not for folks who don’t like to monitor their food) until supple. Whatever floats your boat, peeps.
- Assemble tacos as follows: Place tortillas on plate, add tofu, top with cold slaw. Feel free to get crazy with other garnishes like fresh cilantro, a slice of juicy lime, toasted pepitas, cashew crema, or Sriracha or other hot sauce. I take mine with pepitas, Sriracha and a lil' squeeze of lime. Heaven.
- Enjoy with lots of napkins, good peeps, and a margarita.
Optional garnishes: Fresh cilantro, toasted pepitas, cashew crema, Sriracha (or preferred hot sauce), vegan cheese.
Read more from The Little Foxes.