- Preheat a gas grill (with all burners lit) to 400°F or build a fire in a charcoal grill and let it burn down to medium heat (about 400°F).
- Combine paprika, oregano, salt, brown sugar, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, chipotle chili and pepper in a small bowl.
- Remove giblets from chicken (if included) and trim any excess skin. Loosen the skin over the breast and thigh meat. Rub the spice mixture under the skin onto the breast meat and leg meat, a little on the skin and inside the cavity. Tuck wings under the body and tie the legs together with kitchen string.
- If using a gas grill, turn off one burner (leaving 1 to 2 burners lit, depending on your grill). If using a charcoal grill, move the coals to one side. Wearing an oven mitt, carefully place a drip pan under the grill rack on the unheated side. Place the chicken breast-side down on the rack over the pan. Pour half the beer into the cavity (it's OK if some drips out into the drip pan).
- Close the lid and roast undisturbed for 45 minutes.
- Turn the chicken breast-side up. Pour the remaining beer into the cavity. Cover and continue roasting until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh without touching bone registers 165°F, 30 to 45 minutes more. Transfer the chicken to a clean cutting board; let rest for 10 minutes before removing the string and carving.
Shopping tip: Smoked paprika and ground chipotle chili can be found in the spice section of well-stocked supermarkets.
Provided by: EatingWell
Per Single Serving / Serves 6 Total
- Calories 173 1%
- Calories from fat 63 10%
- Total Fat 7gm 25%
- Saturated Fat 2gm 1%
- Monounsaturated Fat 1gm 27%
- Sodium 656mg
- Total Carbohydrates 2gm 11%
- Fiber 1gm
- Protein 25gm
- Cholesterol 76mg
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.