Blueberries, meyer lemons and sugar are like the perfect ménage à trois. Blueberries create little pools of jammy fruit when baked. The sweet, sugary dough cradles each burst of fruit, pefectly. Meyer lemons add a heavenly scent to the baking sugar. Flaky but not dry. Moist but not soggy. Perfect!
- Preheat oven to 425. Line a baking sheet with a silpat or parchment paper.
- In a food processor combine all of the dry ingredients, except the 2 tablespoons of flour. Add the zest, give a whirl to mix. With the food processor running, add pieces of butter, a couple at a time, and pulse until pea sized. Continue adding the butter until you use all of it. Add the heavy cream and sour cream. Pulse until the dough comes together.
- While the dough is mixing, sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons of flour over the blueberries, gently fold. Add the blueberries to the dough mixture and give a quick pulse.
- Remove the dough from the food processor, and put the dough on a lightly floured surface. Knead the fruit, gently into the dough. Pat into a circle, about 3/4 inch thick. Cut into triangles, I made 8 but you can make them a bit smaller or larger. Place onto a baking sheet, with space between each one.
- Make an egg wash with the egg and a tablespoon of water. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush the tops of the scones with the egg wash, and sprinkle a little lemon sugar on each top.
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes, until the scones are golden brown on the tops. Remove from the oven. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Serve. Eat.
Read more from Chez Us.