By adding ricotta to these flap jacks, they become fluffy and incredibly light (which makes it easier to eat more than you are meant to). I also love the addition of the beautiful blueberries. Not only are they a ‘superfood’ but they are also one of my favourite fruits. Sweet and just a tiny bit tangy, they’re the perfect thing to serve with a stack of flap jacks.
As mentioned, the only way to serve these are stacked high with a generous drizzle of syrup. Coffee, orange juice and the morning paper are all optional, but certainly recommended!
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- Combine the egg, milk, butter and ricotta in a separate bowl and mix well.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet.
- Gently mix in the wet ingredients until you have a smooth batter.
- Fry spoonfuls of the mixture in a warm, non-stick frying pan. Add a generous tablespoonful’s worth of blueberries to each flap jack (on the un-cooked side) before flipping over.
- Remove the flap jacks from the pan and keep warm in a low oven until ready to serve.
- Serve with syrup (I prefer Maple) and fresh blueberries.
Read more from Simply Delicious.