This breakfast tostada was something new for me; it was a meal that I really enjoyed (and I served it with a perfectly ripe banana on the side!). This dish is complete with a good amount of protein (hummus, cheese, egg, and even spinach!), and is a wonderful way to get an extra serving of greens in your diet in the morning (there’s a full 3 cups of spinach wilted down!). Serve it with a piece of fruit for a well-balanced meal that will stick with you for at least four to five hours.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Brush the oil on one side of the tortilla and place the tortilla (oiled side down) onto a baking sheet; spread the hummus in an even layer on top.
- Add the spinach to a medium-sized skillet over medium heat with the water, salt, and pepper. Cook until the water evaporates and the spinach wilts, about 1 minute, stirring constantly. Spread the spinach on top of the hummus, and then sprinkle on the cheese.
- Bake until the cheese is melted and the tostada is warm throughout, about 8 minutes.
- When the tostada is almost finished cooking, cook the egg however you want (I did sunny-side up!).
- Place the egg on top of the tostada and serve immediately.
Read more from An Edible Mosaic.