2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour (see Ingredient note)
2 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon
3 large egg
1 ½ cup sugar
¾ cup non-fat buttermilk
½ cup canola oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
20 oz crushed pineapple, drained, juice reserved
2 cup grated carrots (4-6 medium)
¼ cup coconut chips or flaked coconut
1. To prepare cake: Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Toast walnuts in a small baking pan in the oven until fragrant, 5 to 10 minutes.
3. Whisk flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Whisk eggs, sugar, buttermilk, oil, vanilla and 1/4 cup of the reserved pineapple juice in a large bowl until blended. Stir in pineapple, carrots and coconut. Add the dry ingredients and mix with a rubber spatula just until blended. Stir in the nuts. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan, spreading evenly.
4. Bake the cake until the top springs back when touched lightly and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
12 oz reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
½ cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
5. To prepare frosting & finish cake: Place coconut in a small baking pan and toast in the oven at 300 degrees F, stirring several times, until light golden, 5 to 10 minutes.
6. Beat cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and vanilla in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Spread the frosting over the cooled cake. Sprinkle with the coconut.
Ingredient Note: Whole-wheat pastry flour is milled from soft wheat. It contains less gluten than regular whole-wheat flour and helps ensure a tender result in delicate baked goods while providing the nutritional benefits of whole grains. Available in large supermarkets and in natural-foods stores. Store in the freezer.
Provided by: EatingWell
Per Single Serving / Serves 16 Total
- Calories 344 26%
- Calories from fat 153 25%
- Total Fat 17gm 19%
- Saturated Fat 5gm 15%
- Monounsaturated Fat 6gm 14%
- Sodium 349mg
- Total Carbohydrates 43gm
- Fiber 3gm
- Protein 6gm
- Cholesterol 56mg 3%
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.