1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp freshly ground pepper
⅛ tsp ground pepper
1 ¼ lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed
1 ½ cup pomegranate juice
¾ cup pitted prune
½ cup dried apricot
15 sprigs cilantro, tied with kitchen string
½ tsp salt
2 Tbsp sesame seeds for garnish
1 cup pomegranate seeds (1 large fruit, see Tip) for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. If using fresh pearl onions, cook in boiling water for 1 minute. Drain. Peel when cool enough to handle. If using frozen onions, rinse under warm water to thaw.
3. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add ginger and pepper; cook, stirring, until fragrant and beginning to foam, about 1 minute. Add chicken and onions; stir to coat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions begin to turn golden, 5 to 8 minutes. Add pomegranate juice, prunes, apricots, cilantro and salt; bring to a simmer. Cover tightly with foil and then with a lid. Transfer to the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
4. Remove lid and foil. Discard cilantro. Return to oven and bake, uncovered, until the chicken is cooked through and tender, about 10 minutes longer.
5. Meanwhile, toast sesame seeds in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until light golden and fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl to cool.
6. To serve, spoon the tagine into a serving bowl or onto plates. Garnish with sesame seeds and pomegranate seeds.
Ingredient note: Look for pomegranate juice with other bottled juices or in the produce section of well-stocked supermarkets and natural-foods stores.
Tip: To avoid the enduring stains of pomegranate juice, work under water! Fill a large bowl with water. Hold the pomegranate in the water and slice off the crown. Lightly score the fruit into quarters, from crown to stem end. Keeping the fruit under water, break it apart, gently separating the plump arils from the outer skin and white pith. The seeds will drop to the bottom of the bowl and the pith will float to the surface. Discard the pith. Pour the seeds into a colander. Rinse and pat dry. The seeds can be frozen in an airtight container or sealable bag for up to 3 months.
Provided by: EatingWell
Per Single Serving / Serves 4 Total
- Calories 432 21%
- Calories from fat 81 10%
- Total Fat 9gm 39%
- Saturated Fat 2gm 5%
- Monounsaturated Fat 4gm 18%
- Sodium 432mg
- Total Carbohydrates 64gm 14%
- Fiber 5gm
- Protein 30gm
- Cholesterol 118mg
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.