¾ cup cake flour
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
¾ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup canola oil
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ cup nonfat buttermilk (see Tip)
1 ½ cup chopped pitted cherries, fresh or frozen (thawed and drained), plus fresh cherries with stems for garnish
1. To prepare cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 12 (1/2-cup) muffin cups with paper liners.
2. Whisk whole-wheat flour, cake flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
3. Beat granulated sugar and oil in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until combined. Beat in egg and vanilla until well combined. With the mixer on low, alternately mix in the dry ingredients and buttermilk, starting and ending with dry ingredients and scraping the sides of the bowl as needed, until just combined. Fold in chopped cherries until just combined. Divide the batter among the prepared cups (they will be full).
4. Bake the cupcakes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 22 to 26 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.
½ cup reduced-fat sour cream
1 cup packed confectioners’ sugar
5. To prepare frosting: Meanwhile, beat cream cheese, sour cream and confectioners’ sugar with an electric mixer until smooth. Refrigerate the frosting until very cold, about 2 hours. Spread the frosting on the cooled cupcakes and decorate with a cherry on top, if desired.
Ingredient Note: Look for whole-wheat pastry flour in the natural-foods section of large supermarkets and natural-foods stores. Store in the freezer.
Tip: No buttermilk? You can make “sour milk” as a substitute: mix 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice or vinegar to 1/2 cup nonfat milk.
Provided by: EatingWell
Per Single Serving / Serves 12 Total
- Calories 269 15%
- Calories from fat 90 11%
- Total Fat 10gm 12%
- Sodium 286mg 8%
- Total Carbohydrates 42gm
- Fiber 2gm
- Protein 5gm
- Cholesterol 32mg 14%
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.