½ cup whole-wheat pastry flour
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 cup toasted walnut piece (see Tip)
4 Tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
¼ cup walnut oil or canola oil
½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
2 tsp vanilla extract
5 oz semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped, or chocolate chip, melted (see Cooking Tip)
6 Tbsp apricot jam (see Enhancements, below)
- Position rack in the center of the oven; preheat to 375°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Whisk all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl until well combined. Grind walnuts in a food processor until they resemble coarse meal.
- Beat butter, oil, granulated sugar and brown sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer until almost creamy?the mixture may still be a little grainy. Beat in egg and vanilla; scrape down the sides and beat in melted chocolate and the ground nuts. Stir in the dry ingredients with a wooden spoon until just incorporated.
- Roll 1 tablespoon dough into a ball, place on the prepared baking sheet and flatten slightly until it looks like a deflated basketball. Continue with the remaining dough, spacing the cookies 2 inches apart.
- Bake the cookies for 6 minutes. Remove from the oven and gently press your thumb or the end of a wooden spoon in the center of each cookie. Place 1/2 teaspoon jam in each indentation. Bake until the jam is melted and the cookie is set but still a little soft, 8 to 10 minutes more. Cool on the pan for 2 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Let the pan cool for a few minutes before baking another batch.
Enhancements: Use any flavor jam you want, just don't use preserves (the pieces of fruit may be too large) or jelly (it will melt too quickly and run).
Tip: To toast chopped walnuts: Heat a small dry skillet over medium-low heat. Add nuts and cook, stirring, until lightly browned and fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes.
Cooking Tip: To melt chocolate:
- Bring 1 inch of water to a simmer in a double boiler set over medium-high heat, then place chocolate in the top pan. (Alternatively, to improvise a double boiler, place chocolate in a heat-safe mixing bowl that fits snugly over a pan with 1 inch of simmering water.) Stir until half the chocolate has melted. Remove the bowl and continue stirring until the chocolate has fully melted. Cool for 5 minutes at room temperature.
- Place the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on High for 1 minute. Stir well, then continue microwaving in 30-second increments on High until two-thirds of the chocolate has melted, stirring well after each heating. Remove the bowl and continue stirring until all the chocolate has melted. Cool for 5 minutes at room temperature.
Provided by: EatingWell
Per Single Serving / Serves 36 Total
- Calories 109 9%
- Calories from fat 54 10%
- Total Fat 6gm 3%
- Saturated Fat 2gm 2%
- Monounsaturated Fat 1gm 5%
- Sodium 53mg
- Total Carbohydrates 14gm
- Fiber 1gm
- Protein 1gm
- Cholesterol 9mg 4%
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.