½ cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
½ cup golden raisin
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground nutmeg
2 cup low-fat milk
2 large egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. To prepare pudding: Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat an 8-inch-square baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Combine bread, 1/2 cup brown sugar, raisins, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg, milk, eggs and vanilla in a large bowl. Allow the bread cubes to swell a bit and absorb the liquid, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.
3. Transfer the bread mixture to the prepared baking dish. Place the dish in a larger baking pan filled halfway with hot tap water. Place together in the oven. Bake until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, about 1 hour. Remove the baking dish from the water bath and let stand for about 15 minutes.
1 tsp black, brown or yellow mustard seeds
3 dried red Thai or cayenne chili, such as chili de arbol, stemmed
1 cup cranberry, fresh or frozen (no need to thaw), sliced in half
½ cup golden raisin
¼ cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
½ tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup water
4. To prepare sauce: Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add mustard seeds, cover, and cook until the seeds stop popping (not unlike popcorn), 30 seconds to 1 minute. Stir in chilies to taste and cook until blackened and smoky, about 30 seconds.
5. Add cranberries and raisins. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the raisins are plump, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and cook, stirring, so the sugar melts, about 30 seconds. Pour in water and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the sauce turns syrupy-thick, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove the chilies.
6. Slice the pudding into 8 pieces and spoon some sauce over each. Serve immediately.
To Make Ahead: Cover and refrigerate the sauce (Steps 4-5) for up to 1 day. Reheat before serving; thin with a little water, if desired.
Provided by: EatingWell
Per Single Serving / Serves 8 Total
- Calories 278 8%
- Calories from fat 45 19%
- Total Fat 5gm 7%
- Sodium 163mg 16%
- Total Carbohydrates 52gm
- Fiber 4gm
- Protein 8gm
- Cholesterol 56mg 17%
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.