18 littleneck clam, scrubbed
2 bay leaf
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 medium shallot, minced
1 small green bell pepper, minced
2 oz Canadian bacon, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
2 tsp white wine vinegar
¾ cup fresh breadcrumbs (see Tip)
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 Tbsp chopped fresh chives
2 tsp minced fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried
½ tsp smoked or regular paprika (see Sources)
½ tsp freshly ground pepper
1. Preheat oven to 450°F.
2. Bring water, clams and bay leaves to a boil in a large covered pot. Reduce heat to medium and cook the clams until they open, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain in a colander. (Discard any clams that do not open.) Discard the bay leaves.
3. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add shallots and bell pepper; cook, stirring often, until soft, 2 to 3 minutes. Add Canadian bacon; cook, stirring frequently, until heated and fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in vinegar; transfer the mixture to a large bowl. Stir in breadcrumbs, Parmesan, chives, oregano, paprika and pepper.
4. Remove clam meat from shells (reserving the shells), chop and stir into the breadcrumb mixture. Pull clamshells apart and spoon the breadcrumb mixture into the half shells, packing lightly and mounding slightly (you may have a few shells left over). Place the clams on a large baking sheet. Bake until well browned, about 20 minutes.
Tip: To make fresh breadcrumbs: Trim crusts from firm sandwich bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor into coarse crumbs. One slice of bread makes about 1/3 cup crumbs.
Sources: Smoked paprika can be purchased in gourmet markets.
Provided by: EatingWell
Per Single Serving / Serves 4 Total
- Calories 188 4%
- Calories from fat 72 15%
- Total Fat 8gm 12%
- Saturated Fat 3gm 2%
- Monounsaturated Fat 4gm 17%
- Sodium 402mg
- Total Carbohydrates 12gm 12%
- Fiber 2gm
- Protein 16gm
- Cholesterol 36mg
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.