1. Preheat grill to medium-high (or see Stovetop Variation).
2. Combine onion, oil and 1 tablespoon ketchup in a medium saucepan. Cover and cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, until the onion is softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low, uncover and cook, stirring occasionally, until very soft, 5 to 8 minutes more. Transfer to a medium bowl and let cool for a few minutes.
3. Meanwhile, combine the remaining 1 tablespoon ketchup, mayonnaise, relish and vinegar in a small bowl. Set aside.
4. Add beef, Worcestershire (or steak sauce) and pepper to the onion and gently combine without overmixing. Form into 4 patties, about 3/4 inch thick.
5. Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the burgers, turning once, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 165°F, 4 to 5 minutes per side.
6. Assemble the burgers on toasted buns with the ketchup-mayonnaise sauce, tomato slices and lettuce.
Tip: To oil a grill rack, oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
Stovetop Variation: Coat a nonstick pan, preferably cast-iron (or a grill pan), with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat for 1 to 2 minutes. Add burgers, reduce heat to medium and cook, turning once, until an instant-read thermometer registers 155°F (for pork and bison) or 165° (for beef or chicken), 4 to 5 minutes per side.
To Make Ahead: Prepare ketchup-mayonnaise sauce (Step 3) and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
Provided by: EatingWell
Per Single Serving / Serves 4 Total
- Calories 375 25%
- Calories from fat 144 24%
- Total Fat 16gm 22%
- Sodium 536mg 8%
- Total Carbohydrates 31gm
- Fiber 2gm
- Protein 27gm
- Cholesterol 71mg 10%
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.