6 cup flat mineral water or filtered water
2 clove garlic
13 Tbsp aged sherry vinegar
2 ⅝ cup Spanish extra-virgin olive oil
2 oz rustic bread, crusts removed
4 fresh black fig, quartered
4 Tbsp roughly chopped Spanish Marcona almond
1 Tbsp chopped chives
- Put the blanched almonds into a bowl, cover with the mineral water, and let soak overnight.
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a small pot over high heat. Add the garlic and boil for 1 minute, then drain the garlic and cool.
- Drain the soaked almonds, reserving the soaking liquid, and put them in a blender or food processor.
- Add the garlic, reserved soaking liquid, 3/4 cup of the sherry vinegar, 2 1/2 cups of the olive oil, and bread, and purée until smooth.
- Place a colander over a large bowl and line it with cheesecloth. Pour the soup into the colander. Once most of the liquid has passed through the colander, gather the cheesecloth around the remaining solids and squeeze gently to release as much of the liquid as possible. Discard the solids.
- Pour the soup into a pitcher and chill for 30 minutes.
- To serve, divide the fig pieces and Marcona almonds among soup bowls. Pour in the cold soup, sprinkle with chopped chives, and drizzle with the remaining 1 tablespoon vinegar and 2 tablespoons olive oil.
Recipe from Made in Spain by José Andrés, courtesy of Clarkson Potter/Publishers, an imprint of the Crown Publishing Group, a division of Random House, Inc., 2008.