1 ¾ cup fresh whole-wheat breadcrumbs (see Ingredient Note)
1 large shallot, minced
1 stalk celery, very finely chopped
2 Tbsp capers, rinsed and minced
2 tsp OLD BAY seasoning
¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. To prepare stuffing: Combine crabmeat, breadcrumbs, shallot, celery, capers, Old Bay seasoning, pepper, lemon juice and oil in a medium bowl.
6 tsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
3 clove garlic, minced
2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 Tbsp lemon juice
3. To prepare artichokes: Cut off the top 1 inch of leaves from an artichoke. Remove the outer layer of small, tough leaves from the stem end. Snip all remaining spiky tips from the outer leaves. Cut off the stem to make a flat bottom. (Discard the stem.) Starting at the outer layers and progressing inward, pull the leaves apart to loosen. Pull open the leaves at the center until you see the spiky, lighter leaves around the heart. Pull out those lighter leaves to expose the fuzzy choke. Scoop out the choke with a melon baller or grapefruit spoon and discard. Repeat this step with the remaining artichokes.
4. Spoon 1/2 cup stuffing into the center of an artichoke. Stuff an additional 1/2 cup stuffing between the outer leaves, toward the base, using a small spoon. Repeat with the remaining artichokes and stuffing. Divide any remaining stuffing among the artichokes.
5. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring often, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add broth and lemon juice; bring to a simmer. Carefully stand the artichokes upright in the pan. Drizzle each artichoke with 1 teaspoon oil.
6. Cover, transfer the pot to the oven and bake until tender when pierced down through the center with a knife, about 50 minutes. Uncover and continue baking until the stuffing is slightly browned, about 10 minutes more. Remove from the braising liquid and serve. Use the braising liquid for dipping if desired.
Ingredient note: To make fresh breadcrumbs, trim crusts from whole-wheat bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. One slice of bread makes about 1/2 cup fresh crumbs.
To Make Ahead: Cover and refrigerate stuffing (Step 2) for up to 1 day. Prep and stuff artichokes (Steps 3-4) up to 1 hour ahead.
Provided by: EatingWell
Per Single Serving / Serves 4 Total
- Calories 254 14%
- Calories from fat 81 22%
- Total Fat 9gm 35%
- Sodium 835mg 32%
- Total Carbohydrates 26gm
- Fiber 8gm
- Protein 19gm
- Cholesterol 66mg 9%
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.