Fighting my lazy morning ways, I decided that I would try my hand at my own version of baked oatmeal. For me to love oatmeal, it needs to be packed full of fruit. And some sweet stuff. I am still overloaded with frozen cranberries from the holidays, so throwing some of them in was a no-brainer and the apples came as a natural next step. The whole thing gets sweetened with brown sugar and a bit of cinnamon. I even threw in some ground flax seeds for added nutrition and fiber. Healthy of me, huh?
This cranberry apple cinnamon oatmeal turned out crazy delicious and off-the-charts comforting. At least compared to my cold cereal, but really it wasn't even a competition. Plus, the leftovers were fantastic the next day. Reheat a serving of the oatmeal and add a splash of milk and a drizzle of maple syrup and you won't believe you're eating leftovers.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Grease a 2 quart casserole dish or 8” square baking dish with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together oats, flax seeds, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and ¼ cup of brown sugar and set aside.
- In a second bowl, whisk together honey, milk, egg, and vanilla. Pour milk mixture into the dry ingredients and stir with a spoon, making sure all of the ingredients are evenly mixed. Fold in the cranberries and apples.
- Pour mixture into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the top with 1 Tablespoon of brown sugar.
- Bake, uncovered, for 40-45 minutes or until oatmeal is golden brown and bubbling.
- Allow the oatmeal to cool for several minutes, drizzle with syrup and serve!
Read more from Jelly Toast.