1 medium yellow onion, coarsely chopped
1 ¼ tsp salt, divided
16 cup spinach (about 1 pound), tough stems removed, coarsely chopped
1 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
⅓ cup crumbled feta or goat cheese
2 Tbsp large egg whites
2 tsp chopped fresh dill or 2 teaspoons dried
½ tsp freshly ground pepper
¼ cup sun-dried tomato
½ Tbsp sun-dried tomatoes, finely chopped (not oil-packed)
2 phyllo dough
1. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring, until brown and tender, about 5 minutes. Add spinach in batches and cook, stirring occasionally, until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes.
2. Whisk ricotta, feta and 1/2 teaspoon salt (or goat cheese and 1 teaspoon salt), eggs, egg whites, dill, pepper and nutmeg in a large bowl. Stir in the spinach mixture and sun-dried tomatoes.
3. Preheat oven to 325°F.
4. Melt butter with the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a small saucepan. Remove from the heat.
5. Unroll phyllo sheets onto a clean, dry surface, keeping them in a stack. (To make the tart in an 11-inch round tart pan instead of individual tartlets, see Variation, below.) Cut the stack in half crosswise (you’ll have 40 half-sheets). Cover with a piece of wax paper and then a damp kitchen towel. (Keep the phyllo covered to prevent it from drying out while you work.)
6. Lightly brush each tartlet pan with some of the melted butter mixture. Place 1 half-sheet of phyllo in each pan, pressing it into the edges; brush with the butter mixture. Continue adding sheets and brushing with the butter mixture until you have 5 layers in each pan. Trim the phyllo, leaving a 1/2- to 1-inch overhang.
7. Place the tartlet pans on a baking sheet. Divide the spinach mixture among the pans. Fold the dough over the filling (it won’t cover completely). Brush the edges of the dough with the remaining butter mixture.
8. Bake the tartlets until the filling is set and the crust is golden brown, about 35 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes, then gently turn the tartlets out of the pans. Serve warm. Variation: This recipe can also be made in an 11-inch round tart pan with a removable bottom. Use 2 overlapping sheets of phyllo per layer, for 10 layers. Brush each layer with the butter mixture. Add the filling. Trim the phyllo to make a 1- to 2-inch overhang; fold the dough over the filling. Bake until set and golden brown, 40 to 45 minutes.
To Make Ahead: Prepare the filling (Steps 1-2), cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. | Equipment: 8 individual (4- to 4 1/2-inch) tartlet pans or 11-inch round removable-bottom tart pan
Provided by: EatingWell
Per Single Serving / Serves 8 Total
- Calories 265 23%
- Calories from fat 135 25%
- Total Fat 15gm 27%
- Sodium 645mg 12%
- Total Carbohydrates 23gm
- Fiber 3gm
- Protein 11gm
- Cholesterol 76mg 8%
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.