- Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add oats and cook, stirring, until toasted, around 4 minutes. Be careful, as oats begin to toast quickly. Spread oat mixture onto a plate and let cool.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. In a separate medium bowl, use an electric mixer to cream together remaining ½ cup butter, granulated and brown sugars. Add peanut butter and mix until well combined.
- Add oat mixture and flour mixture; mix until combined. Turn dough out onto a piece of parchment paper. Cover dough with another piece of parchment paper and roll out dough to 1/4 inch thick over the upper parchment paper. Transfer to a refrigerator until chilled, about 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove top layer of parchment paper. Cut out cookies using a 2-inch round cookie cutter. Place cookies 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheets; sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake until golden, rotating baking sheets at 5-minute mark, halfway through baking, 10 minutes. Let cool completely on baking sheets.
Peanut BUtter FIlling
¾ cup creamy peanut butter
¼ cup powdered sugar
½ tsp salt
- In a medium bowl, mix all ingredients together with an electric mixer on medium speed.
- Assemble the sandwich cookies:
- When cookies have cooled completely, use a spatula to spread peanut butter filling onto half of the underside of cookies. Top with other half of cookies to make sandwiches.
Read more from The Daily Meal.
More From Kitchen Daily:
Provided by: The Daily Meal
Per Single Serving / Serves 12 Total
- Calories 428 21%
- Total Fat 29g 45%
- Saturated Fat 13g 63%
- Sodium 406mg 17%
- Total Carbohydrates 36g 12%
- Fiber 3g 10%
- Protein 9g 18%
- Cholesterol 41mg 14%
- Sugars 19g
- Iron 1mg 8%
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.