1 small onion, finely chopped
1 stalk celery, finely diced
2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
15 oz canned salmon, drained, or 1 1/2 cups cooked salmon
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 ½ tsp Dijon mustard
1 ¾ cup fresh whole-wheat breadcrumbs (see Tip)
½ tsp freshly ground pepper
1 Creamy Dill Sauce (recipe follows)
lemon, cut into wedges
1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and celery; cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in parsley; remove from the heat.
3. Place salmon in a medium bowl. Flake apart with a fork; remove any bones and skin. Add egg and mustard; mix well. Add the onion mixture, breadcrumbs and pepper; mix well. Shape the mixture into 8 patties, about 2 1/2 inches wide.
4. Heat remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in the pan over medium heat. Add 4 patties and cook until the undersides are golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a wide spatula, turn them over onto the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining patties.
5. Bake the salmon cakes until golden on top and heated through, 15 to 20 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare Creamy Dill Sauce. Serve salmon cakes with sauce and lemon wedges.
Tip: To make fresh breadcrumbs: Trim crusts from firm sandwich bread. Tear the bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. One slice makes about 1/3 cup.
Provided by: EatingWell
Per Single Serving / Serves 4 Total
- Calories 324 15%
- Calories from fat 90 5%
- Total Fat 10gm 43%
- Saturated Fat 1gm 24%
- Monounsaturated Fat 3gm 7%
- Sodium 585mg
- Total Carbohydrates 21gm
- Fiber 7gm
- Protein 31gm
- Cholesterol 129mg 7%
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.