1. Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl. With your fingers, quickly rub butter into the dry ingredients until the pieces are smaller in size but still visible. Add sour cream and oil; toss with a fork to combine. Sprinkle water over the mixture and toss with a fork until evenly moist. Knead the dough in the bowl a few times”the mixture will still be a little crumbly. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead a few more times, until the dough just holds together. Shape into a 5-inch disk, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 1 hour.
2. Remove the dough from the refrigerator; let stand for 5 minutes to warm slightly. Roll between sheets of parchment or wax paper into a 13-inch circle. Peel off the top sheet and invert the dough into a 9-inch pie pan. Peel off the remaining paper. Trim the crust with kitchen shears or a butter knife so it overhangs the edge of the pan evenly. Tuck the overhanging crust under, forming a double-thick edge. Flute the edge with your fingers.
3. Proceed with your favorite pumpkin pie recipe.
Ingredient note: Look for whole-wheat pastry flour in the natural-foods section of large supermarkets and natural-foods stores.
Provided by: EatingWell
Per Single Serving / Serves 9 Total
- Calories 104 4%
- Calories from fat 54 10%
- Total Fat 6gm 2%
- Saturated Fat 2gm 1%
- Monounsaturated Fat 2gm 5%
- Sodium 118mg
- Total Carbohydrates 12gm 9%
- Fiber 1gm
- Protein 2gm
- Cholesterol 7mg
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.