2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 shallot, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 lb zucchini, diced
12 oz plum tomato, diced
3 Tbsp thinly sliced fresh basil, divided
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
½ tsp salt
freshly ground pepper to taste
8 large egg
4 whole-wheat English muffins, split and toasted
2 Tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Fill a large, straight-sided skillet or Dutch oven with 2 inches of water; bring to a boil. Add white vinegar.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallot and garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in zucchini and tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until the zucchini is tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in 1 tablespoon basil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, reduce the boiling water to a gentle simmer; the water should be steaming and small bubbles should come up from the bottom of the pan. Crack each egg into a small bowl and slip them one at a time into the simmering water, taking care not to break the yolks. Cook for 4 minutes for soft set, 5 minutes for medium set and 8 minutes for hard set. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the eggs to a clean kitchen towel to drain.
- To serve, top each muffin half with some of the vegetable mixture, an egg, a sprinkling of cheese and the remaining basil.
Provided by: EatingWell
Per Single Serving / Serves 4 Total
- Calories 329 22%
- Calories from fat 126 142%
- Total Fat 14gm 28%
- Sodium 675mg 20%
- Total Carbohydrates 31gm
- Fiber 5gm
- Protein 22gm
- Cholesterol 425mg 10%
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.