4 large clove garlic, peeled
4 oz whole-wheat fettuccine
1 small zucchini, cut into matchsticks
2 tsp cornstarch, mixed with 1 tablespoon water
2 Tbsp reduced-fat sour cream
pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
⅛ tsp freshly ground pepper, or to taste
¾ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1. Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Combine broth and garlic cloves in a small saucepan; bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the garlic cloves are soft, about 15 minutes.
2. After the garlic has simmered about 10 minutes, cook fettuccine in the boiling water, stirring often, for 8 minutes. Drop in zucchini and cook until the fettuccine is just tender, about 1 minute more.
3. Meanwhile, transfer the garlic and broth to a blender. Process until the mixture is smooth, about 1 minute. (Use caution when blending hot liquids; see Tip.) Return the mixture to the pot and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Add cornstarch mixture; whisk it until slightly thickened, about 15 seconds. Remove from the heat and whisk in sour cream, nutmeg and pepper. Return the pot to very low heat to keep the sauce warm. (Do not boil.)
4. Drain the pasta and place in a large bowl. Add the sauce and 1/2 cup Parmesan; toss to coat well. Sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately, passing the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan separately.
Tips for Two: Leftover canned broth keeps up to 5 days in the refrigerator or up to 3 months in your freezer. Leftover broth in aseptic packages keep for up to 1 week in the refrigerator. Add to soups, sauces, stews; use for cooking rice and grains; add a little when reheating leftovers to prevent them from drying out.
Pureeing hot liquids: Hot liquids can splatter out of a blender when it's turned on. To avoid this, remove the center piece of the lid. Loosely cover the hole with a folded kitchen towel and turn the blender on. Better airflow will keep the contents from spewing all over the kitchen”and yourself.
Provided by: EatingWell
Per Single Serving / Serves 2 Total
- Calories 379 17%
- Calories from fat 99 30%
- Total Fat 11gm 11%
- Saturated Fat 6gm 8%
- Monounsaturated Fat 3gm 26%
- Sodium 628mg
- Total Carbohydrates 52gm 17%
- Fiber 8gm
- Protein 21gm
- Cholesterol 33mg
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.