6 oz cream cheese
4 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
½ tsp pure vanilla extract
¼ cup rainbow sprinkles (or your favorite ice cream topping)
¼ cup crumbled toffee (or your favorite ice cream topping)
¼ cup toasted hazelnuts (or your favorite ice cream topping)
12 maraschino cherries
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and line a standard cupcake pan with twelve paper baking cups.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a bowl and set aside.
- Cream together butter and sugar for 3 to 5 minutes, or until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs slowly, one at a time, mixing after each addition.
- Add the bananas and honey, and mix slowly until well incorporated.
- Add one third of the dry ingredients, followed by one third of the water, and mix thoroughly. Repeat. Add the last third of the dry ingredients, followed by the last third of the water, and mix thoroughly.
- Using a standard-size ice-cream scoop, scoop batter into the cupcake pan until cups are two-thirds full, and bake for 16 to 18 minutes (start checking after 15 minutes), or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool.
- For the frosting: Mix together the butter, cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar, and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer for 3 to 5 minutes, or until light and airy. Transfer to a plastic piping bag (or freezer bag) fitting with a plain round tip.
- Using an apple corer, core out the center of each banana cupcake and fill with hot fudge. (You can squeeze the hot fudge from a squeeze bottle.)
- Frost cupcakes with Georgetown Cupcake’s “signature swirl” and top with a drizzle of hot fudge, rainbow sprinkles, crumbled toffee, toasted hazelnuts (or your other favorite ice cream toppings), and a maraschino cherry on top. Enjoy!
© Georgetown Cupcake, Katherine Kallinis Berman & Sophie Kallinis LaMontagne, Co-Owners, Georgetown Cupcake & Stars of TLC’s DC Cupcakes
Recipe featured in Georgetown Cupcake’s cookbook: The Cupcake Diaries: Recipes & Memories from the Sisters of Georgetown Cupcake (HarperCollins)