Have you ever looked at the nutrition label on most store-bought granola? Many granolas are a super sneaky sugar hideout just waiting to derail your clean eating plans. I totally fooled my taste buds with this recipe for "German Chocolate" Granola (There's no German Chocolate in it, hence the quotation marks). The sweetness comes from honey and a dash of maple syrup, which are healthier sweeteners than traditional sugars. I love to indulge in a little bit of this with some almond or coconut (or almond-coconut) milk.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Prepare a sheet pan by lining with foil or with a silicone baking mat.
- Combine oats, coconut, pecans, cocoa powder, and salt in large bowl. Mix well.
- Pour applesauce, honey, maple syrup, melted coconut oil, vanilla extract, and coconut extract in to bowl with dry ingredients and stir until well combined and no dry spots can be seen.
- Spread out onto prepared baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Stir mixture and spread out again, then bake for another 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool. Store in an airtight container.
Read more from The Kitchen Prep.