2 tsp grated fresh ginger
½ tsp ground turmeric
½ tsp ground clove
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1. To prepare sauce: Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add ginger and cook, stirring, until light brown and aromatic, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Stir in turmeric and cloves. Cook until the spices are fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute more. Scrape the spices into the applesauce in a small bowl and stir well to combine.
2. Preheat oven to 200°F. Place a baking sheet in the oven.
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 fresh green serrano chiles, stemmed and finely chopped
3 Tbsp finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves and tender stems
½ cup chickpea flour (see Note) or unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp kosher or sea salt
½ tsp ground turmeric
2 large eggs, slightly beaten
2 Tbsp canola oil, divided
3. To prepare latkes: Thoroughly mix potatoes, onion, chiles to taste, cilantro, flour, cumin, salt, turmeric and eggs in a large bowl.
4. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet or griddle over medium heat. Place a heaping tablespoon of the potato mixture in the skillet and flatten with a spatula into a disk roughly 3 inches in diameter. Form as many latkes as you can in the pan without overcrowding. Cook until golden brown and crispy on the bottom, 3 to 5 minutes. Flip and continue cooking until the other side is golden brown and crispy, 3 to 5 minutes. Briefly drain on a paper towel-lined plate, then transfer to the oven to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining oil and potato mixture.
5. Serve the latkes with the seasoned applesauce.
Note: Chickpea flour, or garbanzo bean flour, is commonly used in Indian and Middle Eastern cooking. It’s a gluten-free alternative to wheat flour. Look for it in the gluten-free or bulk-foods section of large supermarkets and natural-foods stores.
To Make Ahead: Cover and refrigerate the sauce (Step 1) for up to 3 days.
Provided by: EatingWell
Per Single Serving / Serves 6 Total
- Calories 187 14%
- Calories from fat 81 24%
- Total Fat 9gm 9%
- Sodium 221mg 12%
- Total Carbohydrates 22gm
- Fiber 3gm
- Protein 5gm
- Cholesterol 71mg 7%
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.