Now you can get a taste of homemade cooking wherever you are and fill up on Grandma’s traditional homemade jam donuts. These round donuts can be filled with any type of jam you like: strawberry, apricot, raspberry, you name it! If you are a fan of Boston cream, you can also make a vanilla type custard filling and top them off with chocolate sauce. The options for customization are endless, depending on your taste and style. My all time favorite, is filling them with creamy Nutella… mmm… you really can’t go wrong!
- In a mixing bowl, add flour and make a well in the center. In the well, add crumbled yeast, 1/2 tbsp of sugar, and half of the warm milk. Cover with a little bit of flour and start mixing it in until you get a thick creamy dough. Cover bowl, and let it stand for 20 mins until risen.
- In a separate bowl, add remaining milk and mix in butter and yogurt, set aside. In another bowl, whip egg yolks with the remaining sugar.
- Combine dough with milk mixture and egg yolk mixture and knead until you get a smooth, elastic dough. Cover and let it stand at room temp for 1 hour or until doubled in volume.
- On a floured surface, remove dough from bowl, knead, and roll out into a 1 cm thickness.
- Use a glass or a circular cookie cutter to cut out circles of dough and place on a floured baking sheet. Cover with cloth, and let it stand for another 40 mins.
- In a large saucepan, heat enough oil for donuts to float freely and not touch the bottom. Throw in a small piece of dough and if it browns quickly, it should be ready.
- Fry donuts until golden brown on both sides. Transfer to paper towel.
- Fill a pastry bag fitted with a long tip with jam and insert jam into donuts through the sides. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve!
Read more from Better Baking Bible.