1. Preheat grill to medium-high.
2. Toss calamari with 1 tablespoon each oil and vinegar and 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Toss potatoes with 1 tablespoon oil and 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Thread garlic on a grilling skewer.
3. Take the calamari, potatoes, garlic skewer and tomatoes out to the grill. Oil the grill rack (see Tips). Grill the garlic and potatoes, turning occasionally, until tender, 6 to 8 minutes for the garlic, 10 to 12 minutes for the potatoes. Place the tomato halves on the grill skin-side down; grill until lightly charred, 5 to 7 minutes. Turn and grill for 1 minute more. Remove the calamari from the marinade and place on the hottest part of the grill; grill, turning once or twice, until just cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes total.
4. When the garlic is cool enough to handle, peel and put in a blender. Add parsley (or basil or mint), anchovies, capers, water, the lemon zest and juice, the remaining 4 tablespoons oil, 2 tablespoons vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste. Puree until smooth.
5. Place spinach in a large bowl and toss with about 1/2 cup of the dressing; divide among 4 plates. Top with the potatoes and tomato halves. Slice the calamari bodies into rings, but leave the tentacles whole; place on the spinach. Drizzle with the remaining dressing.
Tips: Also known as squid, calamari is sold frozen or fresh in the seafood department of the grocery store. Look for cleaned calamari, with its cartilage and ink removed; otherwise ask at the fish counter to have it cleaned.
Oiling a grill rack before you grill foods helps ensure that the food won’t stick. Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.) When grilling delicate foods like tofu and fish, it is helpful to coat the food with cooking spray.
Equipment: 1 bamboo or metal skewer
More From Kitchen Daily:
Provided by: EatingWell
Per Single Serving / Serves 4 Total
- Calories 429 37%
- Calories from fat 216 89%
- Total Fat 24gm 23%
- Sodium 561mg 25%
- Total Carbohydrates 32gm
- Fiber 6gm
- Protein 24gm
- Cholesterol 266mg 11%
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.