½ cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
⅓ cup cherry preserve
⅓ cup ketchup
2 Tbsp cider vinegar
1 ½ tsp minced canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, or more to taste (see Ingredient Note)
1 ¼ tsp dried thyme
½ tsp ground allspice
2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of fat
1. Stir cherries, broth, preserves, ketchup, vinegar, chipotle peppers, thyme and allspice in a small deep bowl. Transfer to a shallow non-reactive dish (see Note) large enough to hold chicken. Add the chicken and turn to coat well. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
2. Preheat grill to high. Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Remove the chicken from the marinade. Transfer the marinade to a medium skillet.
3. Reduce the grill heat to medium and grill the chicken until cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 7 to 9 minutes per side. Meanwhile, bring the marinade to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the sauce is reduced by about half, 12 to 15 minutes. Let the chicken cool slightly; serve with the sauce.
Tips: Be sure to measure frozen cherries while still frozen, then thaw. (Drain juice before using.)
To pit a cherry: Halve it with a paring knife then pry out the pit with the tip of the knife or use a cherry pitter.
To oil a grill rack: Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.
Ingredient Note: Chipotle chilies in adobo sauce are smoked jalapenos packed in a flavorful sauce. Look for the small cans with the Mexican foods in large supermarkets. Once opened, they'll keep up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator or 6 months in the freezer.
Note: A nonreactive pan, stainless steel, enamel-coated or glass, is necessary when cooking acidic foods, such as lemon, to prevent the food from reacting with the pan. Reactive pans, such as aluminum and cast-iron, can impart an off color and/or off flavor in acidic foods.
Provided by: EatingWell
Per Single Serving / Serves 8 Total
- Calories 180 5%
- Calories from fat 27 5%
- Total Fat 3gm 21%
- Saturated Fat 1gm 1%
- Monounsaturated Fat 1gm 7%
- Sodium 179mg
- Total Carbohydrates 14gm 5%
- Fiber 1gm
- Protein 24gm
- Cholesterol 63mg
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.