For the stollen:
- In a medium sized bowl with a whisk, whip egg yolk, sugar, glucose, vanilla and cinnamon until fluffy and voluminous, 3-5 minutes.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine yeast, flour and salt. Add warm water. Engage the hook attachment and mix dough on the lowest speed for 1 minute. Add the yolk mixture to the dough and knead approximately 5 - 8 minutes on a medium low speed. Dough will be smooth to the touch and lump free.
- Still on a medium low speed, add butter cubes a little at time, until all butter has been added and all butter is fully kneaded into the dough.
- Add in dried fruit & booze on same medium low speed. Knead for 1 minute until fruit is fully incorporated.
- Brush a large bowl with oil and dump the dough into it. Cover with plastic wrap and let the dough proof at room temperature for 45 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 350F
- After 45 minutes, punch down and flatten the stollen dough, then divide in half. Take a pinch of flour and throw it across the surface of a smooth dry countertop to lightly coat the counter. Take another pinch of flour and lightly dust a rolling pin. Use the rolling pin to flatten each half of dough, then roll each out with the rolling pin or stretch the dough out by hand as if you were making a pizza from scratch. Your end goal is to create two rectangles approximately 16 x 12 –inches.
- Divide the pistachio filling over the two rectangles of stollen dough and spread/coat the dough evenly. Roll the dough up the 16” length like a cinnamon bun and tuck the ends under the dough ever so slightly then transfer each “roll” to a ￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼￼clean baking sheet. (there is a much fancier way of shaping a loaf of stollen, but rolling it like a cinnamon bun will do just fine!)
- Let the loaves proof on the baking sheets covered with plastic for 90 minutes.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until internal temperature of the stollen reaches 200F or is toothpick clean.
- Once cool, brush or dunk the loaves with melted butter, then coat well in confectioner’s sugar. This locks in the flavor and seals in freshness!
For the pistachio filling:
2 tsp pistachio oil
2 tsp elderflower oil
½ tsp kosher salt
- In a bowl, combine the ingredients spoon or spatula until homogenous. Set to the side.
Get a free printable with holiday recipes from our favorite celebrated chefs.