First, there are the cornbread pancakes, which are obviously savory and obviously awesome. Maybe even better than cornbread because they are so doughy, warm and moist. Then there is also that bit of crispy on the outside. They even have a nice texture component from the charred corn and jalapeños.
Next, there are the roasted blueberries. The roasted blueberries that get mixed into a buttery honey syrupy/sauce that is well… simply amazing. How could it not be? It’s roasted blueberries doused in honey.
Oh and if you think this is weird, just get over that. Because weird food is good, and if you like corn bread and blueberries you’ll love these.
Plus, they are pancakes and who does not like pancakes?
Roasted Blueberry Honey Syrup
½ cup honey
1 Tbsp water
1 Tbsp butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread the blueberries on the baking sheet. Roast for 10-15 minutes, or until berries start to burst. Remove from oven.
- While the blueberries roast, char the corn over on open flame or under the broiler set on high. Char the corn until somewhat-blackened but not completely burnt, about 1 minute per side and 5-6 minutes total. It will crackle and pop, this is normal. Remove corn from heat, and when cool enough to handle, shave off kernels using a large knife.
- In a medium size mixing bowl add the cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt. Add the honey, egg, buttermilk and canola oil. Fold in the corn kernels, chopped jalapeño and cheddar cheese. Set aside.
- In a small sauce pot add the honey and water. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Add the butter and stir to melt. Once the blueberries are done roasting add them to the syrup. Stir to combine and boil 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Using a 1/3 cup measure, spoon batter into rounds and cook until bubbles form on top – about 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook for a minute or two more. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve hot with the roasted blueberry syrup.
Makes 10-12 pancakes
Read more from Half Baked Harvest.