1. Prepare instant brown rice according to package directions.
2. Pour broth into a heavy medium saucepan, along with sugar, soy sauce and mirin. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low.
3. Stir egg whites and whole egg in a small bowl until just mixed. Add chicken to the simmering broth. Gently pour in the egg mixture, without stirring. Sprinkle scallions on top. When the egg starts to firm up, after about 3 minutes, stir it with chopsticks or a knife. (The chicken will be cooked by now.) Divide the rice among 4 deep soup bowls and top with the chicken mixture.
Ingredient Note: Mirin is a low-alcohol rice wine essential to Japanese cooking. Look for it in your supermarket with the Asian or gourmet ingredients. An equal portion of sherry or white wine with a pinch of sugar may be substituted for mirin.
Provided by: EatingWell
Per Single Serving / Serves 4 Total
- Calories 262 16%
- Calories from fat 27 5%
- Total Fat 3gm 29%
- Saturated Fat 1gm 3%
- Monounsaturated Fat 1gm 16%
- Sodium 387mg
- Total Carbohydrates 47gm 5%
- Fiber 3gm
- Protein 22gm
- Cholesterol 87mg
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.