¾ lb sweet Italian sausage1 lb meatloaf mix½ cup minced onion2 garlic clove, crushed13 oz canned tomato sauce28 oz canned crushed tomato12 oz tomato paste14 oz water2 Tbsp sugar5 basil leaf2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley1 tsp Italian seasoning1 Tbsp salt½ tsp black pepper1 Tbsp butter pinch of red pepper flake2 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese12 lasagna noodles16 oz ricotta cheese1 egg½ tsp salt1 tsp chopped fresh parsley1 lb grated mozzarella cheese½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- In sauce pot heat olive oil to medium-med high heat and add garlic/onions sauté for a few moments and then add both meats until well browned.
- Stir in tomato sauce, paste, crushed tomatoes and water (swirl the water around all tomato cans) and then add salt, pepper, sugar, basil, parsley, Italian seasoning and optional red pepper. Add butter and grated parmesan cheese, stir. Simmer for 1½ hrs covered and stir occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. In 9x13 inch pan put unbaked lasagna noodles & hot tap water until they are submerged; let sit for about 10 minutes drain and pat dry.
- In a bowl, mix one egg with salt and chopped parsley to the ricotta cheese, stir in grated parmesan.
- Spread about 1½ sauce on the bottom of the pan. Lay noodles on top, spread some ricotta mix and mozzarella. Repeat. Top with remaining mozzarella and cover.
- Bake for 25 minutes covered and then 25 minutes uncovered (at 375°F). Rest for 15 minutes. ENJOY!