1 onion (small diced)3 garlic cloves (sliced thinly)1 Tbsp fennel Seeds salt and pepper to taste1 cup beef or chicken stock2 cup fresh pureed tomato6 sausage links (cut in to meatball-size pieces) parmesan1 bunch fresh basil bread olive oil
- Place a heavy bottomed pot over medium-high heat and add about 3 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Once the oil shimmers and is hot, add the onions and garlic to the pan and toss to coat.
- Add the fennel seeds. Season with a large pinch of salt. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the onions just begin to soften
- Add the stock, and with a wooden spoon, scrape up the bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add the tomato sauce to the pan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and continue to cook for about 5 minutes more.
- Add the sausage into the tomato sauce and simmer until fully cooked, about another 10 to 12 minutes. Once the tomato sauce has reduced and is thick, adjust seasoning.
- Top with freshly grated Parmesan and a handful of torn basil. Serve with hot crusty bread.