½ cup boiling water
1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
¾ cup all-purpose flour
1 cup chopped toasted walnuts (see tip), divided
¾ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
1 large egg
¾ cup pure maple syrup, preferably dark amber (Grade B)
¼ cup canola oil
4 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
2 tsp cider vinegar
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
2 Tbsp pure maple syrup
1 tsp cider vinegar
¾ cup gently packed confectioners' sugar
2 tsp water, if needed
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Coat a 10-inch springform pan with cooking spray.
2. Place dates in a small bowl. Pour boiling water over them to soak. Let cool to room temperature.
3. Process whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, 2/3 cup walnuts, baking soda and salt in a food processor until the walnuts are completely ground and the mixture resembles coarse meal. Transfer to a medium bowl; make a well in the center.
4. Puree the dates and soaking water in the food processor until smooth, scraping down the sides as necessary. Add egg, 3/4 cup syrup, oil, butter, 2 teaspoons vinegar and vanilla and process until smooth and creamy. Scrape the date mixture into the well in the dry ingredients and stir together gently until just combined. Transfer to the prepared pan.
5. Bake the cake until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely. Run a knife around the edges to loosen the cake, if necessary, and remove the sides of the pan.
6. To glaze cake: Carefully lift the cake from the pan bottom and place on a cake stand or serving plate. Whisk maple syrup, vinegar and confectioners' sugar in a small bowl. Add water, 1 teaspoon at a time, if necessary to make a spreadable consistency. Spread the glaze evenly over the top of the cake, then decorate with the remaining 1/3 cup walnuts.
Tip: To toast chopped walnuts: Cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Provided by: EatingWell
Per Single Serving / Serves 12 Total
- Calories 342
- Calories from fat 144
- Total Fat 16gm 25%
- Saturated Fat 4gm 20%
- Monounsaturated Fat 4gm
- Sodium 136mg 6%
- Total Carbohydrates 48gm 16%
- Fiber 3gm 3%
- Protein 4gm
- Cholesterol 28mg 9%
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.