¼ cup packed fresh mint leaves
¼ cup packed fresh parsley leaves
2 Tbsp toasted pine nuts (see tip)
2 Tbsp grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic, peeled
1 tsp salt, divided
½ tsp freshly ground pepper
3 ½ lb boneless leg of lamb, butterflied and trimmed of fat
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Place basil, mint, parsley, pine nuts, cheese, oil, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper in a food processor and process until fairly smooth. Sprinkle lamb all over with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the pesto; spread the rest over the top side of the lamb and roll it closed. (It will not be a perfect cylinder.) Tie kitchen string around the roast in five places; do not tie too tightly or the pesto will squeeze out. Rub the reserved pesto over the outside of the lamb and place in a roasting pan.
3. Roast the lamb until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 140 degrees F for medium-rare, about 1 hour 20 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board; let rest for 10 minutes. Carve the lamb, leaving the string in place to help hold the roast together.
Tip: Toast pine nuts in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes.
1. Very cold meat won't roast evenly. Place it on the counter while preheating the oven.
2. Durable cotton kitchen string is sold at kitchenware stores, most gourmet markets and large supermarkets. Do not use sewing thread or yarn, which may contain inedible dyes or unsavory chemicals.
3. A heavy-duty, high-sided roasting pan is essential for conducting heat evenly. Never substitute a cookie sheet. A broiler pan will work in a pinch, but the roast will inevitably be somewhat chewier.
4. Give it a rest. A roast's internal temperature will rise about 10 degrees while resting. The natural juices will also reincorporate into the meat's fibers and the skin or crust will dry out slightly for a more toothsome yet more succulent dinner.
Provided by: EatingWell
Per Single Serving / Serves 12 Total
- Calories 192
- Calories from fat 90
- Total Fat 10gm 15%
- Saturated Fat 3gm 15%
- Monounsaturated Fat 5gm
- Sodium 228mg 10%
- Total Carbohydrates 1gm
- Fiber 0gm
- Protein 25gm
- Cholesterol 76mg 25%
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.