Tofu kebabs with fresh mint, ripe tomato and onion make a delightful vegetarian supper from the grill. Pressing the tofu before marinating allows it to really absorb the flavors, plus the resulting firmer texture makes the tofu easier to grill.
1 Tbsp lime juice
1 Tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 tsp minced fresh ginger
16 fresh mint leaf
4 plum tomatoes, quartered and seeded
1 onion, peeled, quartered and separated into layers
2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
¼ cup Kecap Manis (see note)
1. Cut tofu in half horizontally, making two large slices about 1 inch thick. Fold a clean kitchen towel and place it on a cutting board or large plate. Set the tofu on the towel. Put another folded clean towel over the tofu and place a flat, heavy weight (such as a skillet) on top; drain for 15 minutes; remove the weight and cut the tofu into 1 1/2-inch pieces.
2. Preheat grill to medium-high.
3. Combine lime juice, soy sauce and ginger in a medium bowl. Add tofu and toss to coat. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
4. Tuck a mint leaf into each tomato quarter and thread onto 4 or 8 skewers alternately with tofu, onion and jalapeños. (Discard any remaining marinade.)
5. Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the kebabs, turning occasionally, for 7 minutes. Brush with kecap manis and grill until the vegetables are softened and the tofu is well glazed, about 3 minutes more.
Note: Kecap manis is a thick, palm sugar˜sweetened soy sauce. It’s used as a flavoring, marinade or condiment in Indonesian cooking. Find it in Asian food markets or online at importfood.com. To substitute for kecap manis, whisk 1 part molasses with 1 part reduced-sodium soy sauce.
Tip: Oiling a grill rack before you grill foods helps ensure that the food won’t stick. Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
Equipment: 4 or 8 metal or bamboo skewers
Provided by: EatingWell
Per Single Serving / Serves 4 Total
- Calories 178
- Calories from fat 54
- Total Fat 6gm 9%
- Sodium 546mg 23%
- Total Carbohydrates 20gm 7%
- Fiber 2gm 8%
- Protein 11gm
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.