4 medium-to-large bell peppers, tops cut off and seeded
1 lb lean (90% or leaner) ground beef
4 cloves garlic, minced
½ cup currant
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 ½ cup low-sodium vegetable juice, such as V8, divided
¼ cup chopped fresh mint, plus more for garnish
1 tsp orange zest
¾ tsp salt
¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
1. Heat rice according to package directions. (If using cooked rice, skip to Step 2.)
2. Place peppers upside-down in a microwave-safe round casserole dish just large enough to fit them. Add 1/2 inch water to the dish and cover with a lid or inverted dinner plate. Microwave on High until the peppers are tender but still hold their shape, 3 to 6 minutes. Drain the water and turn the peppers right-side up.
3. Meanwhile, cook beef and garlic in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, breaking up the beef with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in currants, cumin and cinnamon; cook for 1 minute. Stir in the rice and cook for 30 seconds more. Remove from the heat and stir in 1/2 cup vegetable juice, cup mint, orange zest, salt and pepper.
4. Spoon the beef mixture into the peppers. Pour the remaining 2 cups vegetable juice into the dish and cover. Microwave on High until the juice and filling are hot, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve the peppers with the sauce; garnish with mint, if desired.
Provided by: EatingWell
Per Single Serving / Serves 4 Total
- Calories 451
- Calories from fat 108
- Total Fat 12gm 18%
- Sodium 629mg 26%
- Total Carbohydrates 48gm 16%
- Fiber 8gm 32%
- Protein 36gm
- Cholesterol 87mg 29%
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.